Friday, October 12, 2007

PROPS TO JOHN KEEMPERS DIAMOND GYM

I had the opportunity to workout at John Keempers Diamond Gym in Maple wood NJ. Being a native of NJ I do not live far from his gym, and made the members there aware that I will be there more often now, since I have gotten a grand tour of the place. I went there because my good friend Evan Centopani was shooting with Universal Nutrition along with Frank Mc Grath and Erick Frankhouser. I showed up there today around 3:30pm with my posing coach Kenny Wallach who is a gym lover himself, loves to travel to all the well known and legendary gyms. We walked in and both said "Holy shit, this is awesome." I mean I have been to hard core gyms before, Strong and Shapely (which is where I am training tomorrow), my all time favorite gym Gold's New Haven, and know Diamond gym which is twenty minutes from my house. The gym is off Irvington road in Maple wood on a busy road, and if you were driving by you might miss it, but if you were strolling by, you would know where the gym is, with the music blaring and the doors open, to the sound of dumbbells clanging, and grunts and groans it's hard to miss. The gym was wall to wall with old pictures of all the greats, along with pictures of the up and comings. Every single room had a different atmosphere. It was like a bodybuilding of Ronnie Coleman that you see, weights every where, the heaviest of all dumbbells stacked away in the corner only for the big men to use, machines that I'm sure some of the Old time greats used back in their day to build their top physiques, and the best part is everyone there...EVERY SINGLE PERSON was there for one reason. TO WORKOUT. Most gyms I go to you have your club goes with their hair all gelled, the ones who talk on the cell phones, the ones who read half of a newspaper in between sets, not hear. After a great shoulder, hamstring, and calf workout with Evan we finished up with some cardio, and headed down to make rounds saying good-bye. I was leaning over the counter talking to an employee Greg, and I looked down on the desk, they had TOP 10 HARD CORE GYMS, number 1. Diamond Gym, and ya know what who could argue. If you guys/girls ever around the area and want to get a feeling of how bodybuilding became and how working out was like, and still should be, take a trip to John's Gym, you can guarantee it won't be your last...
Also want to shout out to Erik Frankhouser, we got into talking a bit he's a great, stand up guy, and has one of the sickest wheels and calves I have ever seen. He's 27 years old with so much potential, he's already up to 250 from 202 since Aug 31st at the North Americans where he won his pro card. Good luck Erik you'll do damage in years to come.
So check out Diamond gym, I will be writing about Strong and Shapely tomorrow when I get back haven't been there in a few years so very pumped up to make an appearance there. Until tomorrow...Get it done
Guy

No comments: