Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Official Leg Day Crew Is Growing..

OK, so from those reading my blogs, or seeing pictures on MD, or in the Trenches, my legs are my best body part. Everyone has that one body part that stands out more than the other one, my boy PJ has huge arms and forearms, Dom has a wide thick back, Evan has crazy arms and shoulders, Kris for his round full shoulders and arms, and myself for my legs. As a kid, I always had thick quads, short and stocky like a Pit Bull (inside joke). My legs only got bigger as I put in 15 years of football all through college, along with hours in the gym. Now they have become my best body part, I think I need a lot more work on them, but they do stand out.
When I moved back home to NJ in March of 2007, I was training by myself, which is what I prefer most of the time. I do not need someone yelling at me, pushing me, if I can't push myself to my own limits then I shouldn't be a bodybuilder. But while dieting for the Nationals last year I started training a few times with national level competitor and close friend Dominck Dichio. No matter what Mondays aka quad day, he never missed. He always said, "I can get through any workout without you besides quads." So every Monday in the gym it's always a scene Dom and I going heavy and hard in the leg area of the gym for a solid hour. As I started talking to more people in the gym and training more people in the gym, I got asked if I could be shadowed during my leg day. I never turned down anyone wanting to train with me, but I always had two conditions, I'm training how I want, and you go at my pace or you don't go at all. So as the weeks when on quad day consists of Dom, my buddies Jay and Kenny, who all are bodybuilders and all whom I train for shows. Jay did his first show last year, placing out of the top 5, he was miss guided from the start of his prep so I have been helping him with his off season prep, hoping to put him in the higher ups in the years to come. As for Kenny, I worked with Kenny for only the last 6 weeks before his show, he was big, but holding a decent amount of fat and doing almost no cardio, after 6 weeks of torture he went from being in the 220's to the high 180's and took 2nd at both of this shows. Jay and Kenny both needed to bring up their legs, so they figured what better way to do it then training with Dom and myself. They love the progress they make but hate it in the process. So I told them I would post about the Monday Quad Crew. So this is what I did with guys yesterday for Quads...
Pre exhausted with extensions-warm up, 120x15, 140x12, 160x12, 180x10, 200x10
Squats-405x8, 405x8, 405x8
Smith machine front squats-225x12, 275x10, 315x8
DB lunges-3 sets across the entire gym, until failure

At the end, I have to be honest, Kenny tapped out because his quad "popped" and Jay made it though border line puking, but it was a good hard workout..See you guys again on Monday.
SQUAT TIL YOU PUKE
GUY

No comments: