Sunday, January 20, 2008

Post Surgery Recovery

Well at least Victor Martinez and I have something in common, we both had surgery the same day. Victor on his patella tendon and me on my shoulder. I am sure Victor will be back into the swing of things soon enough. As for myself this is going to be a short blog due to my shoulder pain but just wanted to give an update for the members and fans who have been asking how everything went. I got to the hospital at 10 o'clock in the morning after all the prep and paper work I was in my own room for about an hour or more watching TV waiting for the nurse to take me down to the surgery room. Finally, the nurse came in and told me I would be going down shortly and I put on all the operation clothing and they strolled me down. I then waiting in another room waiting for the anesthesiologist to talk to me. What they were going to do when I got in the surgery room was give me a nerve block shot in my neck to numb the shoulder so the pain would be a lot less when I came out of surgery. Finally, around 12 o'clock I was rolled into the surgery room, where then was hooked up to IV, sedated and giving the "block shot" in my neck. I remember there was a nurse holding down my shoulder because when they inject the nerve block in your neck it causes big time spasms in the area they focus on (for me my shoulder). My shoulder went nuts and after a few cc's of that shit in my neck I was out. The surgery was scheduled to take 1 1/2 hours but instead took over 3 hours long, which I was told was very long for a shoulder surgery. The doctor said the surgery took a little longer due to my size and muscle mass they had to scope through. After I came to, Dr. Cappadona spoke to me and told me everything went well, I am not sure of the extent of the conversation we had because I was out of it. I am going to speak to him tomorrow to get the information on what was done exactly to my shoulder, and after that I will post about what was done and recovery time etc. I am guessing I will be out of commission for about 3-4 weeks, which might be good since I barely took off after the Nationals. As for now I am sore, and getting some mobility back in my arm, the pain is still there but hopefully this is for the best. I will post tomorrow the updates on my shoulder.....Stay Big and Lift Smart
Guy

No comments: